[ SHOWGSD-L ] A very Good Weekend

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:53:08 EDT

We had a great weekend.  A group of rescue workers got together a few  months
back, and are working on forming a Rescue Coalition in this  area.  I will
only be part of the formative part of this organization, as I  am getting ready
to move. Wish us luck.  I am ready for the politics,  thanks to The
List.....LOL

Saturday we had a Fund Raiser, and GSD, Labradors and Boxers rescue
volunteers got together and we have 16 solid applications for the dogs in the
program, (7 GSD, 1 Boxer and 8 Labradors) and with raffles and donations came
out
with $500+ in cash. All together we  have over 200 dogs in the  different
programs.

We also had vets, groomers and trainers donate their services. The value of
these donations pass the $1000.  We can't say thank you enough.

It was a LOT of work but it was also a LOT of fun.  We have some  awesome
GSD's in rescue right now (3 long coats!), and we took TJ and Rodney,  who
could
not believe how many people were willing to play ball with him.   He was in
Dog Heaven.  TJ was just too happy to stay next to Mom, his  favorite job.

We were in a fabulous park, any breed club could hold agility,  obedience and
conformation on that park on the same weekend.  There  was water and
electricity and a podium with roof over our  heads.   This was nice at the
beginning
of the day, we had about 15 minutes of  rain.

We went back Sunday to clean up, and just to sit down with people who are
working so hard at finding homes for these good dogs.  The majority of the
volunteers were show and performance people, very aware of the AR issues, and
we
took the weekend to educate the public about AR issues, BY breeders and
specific  breeds pros and cons, the same reasons that these dogs end up in
rescue.
Many of the volunteers had some of their show dogs there, and the public was
impressed with that. We had a few ILP dogs, with Ob. and Agility titles. We
had  plenty of Therapy Dogs. It was awesome. This gives a new owner an option
if  they decided to work with an adopted dog.  There were a few volunteers who
never owned a show or performance dog, who used to think show people were the
 cause of the problem.  The last few months have been a learning experience
to these folks. They are learning we are not only the only cause to the
problem,  we are trying to help with the problem.  Education plays a BIG ROLE
in our
 project.

Of the dogs present, these were the reasons they ended up in rescue:   Got
too big, sheds too much, drools too much, can't guard, too hyper.  Not  a
single
vicious dog in the bunch.
Education is needed, obviously these people didn't know what they were
getting themselves into.

I feel good. I came home with a big sense of accomplishment, and so tired I
didn't care to know what was happening on The List.

Have a great week, and stay out of each others back.

Ileana