[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [ A tragedy that I hope everyone learns from......]

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 07:26:29 -0700 (PDT)

There are so many ways for our dogs to have harm come to them.

  I clean any mushrooms along with the poop.  But we also have Bufo toads here.
 The secrete a toxin that causes halucinations.  Some dogs, if they lick and
survive, will become addicted to the toads and will seek them out.

  Liddy may have had a problem, she got close to one, and I chased her off and
beat it out of the area, they will attack back when you try to move them.  But
she kept looking for more for about 2 months.  I just refused to let her into
the small area she had found that one I knew about.  I did not need her
dropping dead from wanting to get high.

  I also had a dog that became addicted to chocolate.  Long story, I protested
all the way, until I realized he was addicted.  Then I threw a fit and the
chocolate stopped finding the dog.  It took him 6 weeks to normalize and stop
begging for chocolate.

  sheila
cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  What a tragedy indeed! My heart goes out to the folks who lost their
baby puppies.

I'm glad you posted this, Colleen. We live in the middle of a large
hardwood forest with a huge variety of mushrooms. Many are poisonous,
including the "Death Cap," which is most likely what these pups ate.

Every time my husband or I take the dogs out in the yard or go scoop poop,
we look for mushrooms to toss over the fence. Having taken a couple
graduate courses in Mycology, I know what the bad mushrooms can do to pets
and humans. To be on the safe side, we remove all mushrooms from the yard.

If anyone's interested, here's an awesome website to assist in mushroom
identification:
http://americanmushrooms.com/index.htm

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs