[ SHOWGSD-L ] A little history

  • From: <kathleensteen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:31:41 -0400

This election seems to have gotten many people really upset.  I don't know why
the Breed and the Club should be sacrificed for power struggles or for any
individuals ego.  I thought that perhaps I should talk to the list members
about some of the interesting people in our wonderful breed and some of the
outstanding contributions that these people have made to it.
Probably the majority of the newer members never have heard of LaMar Kuhns.
LaMar was a handlers handler.  He could mold a dog with his hands.  He was very
knowlegeable about the pedigrees of the dogs, he had lived with them.  He
didn't have his clients breed to the current winner, but to the dog that was
going to provide them with the next generation of winning dogs that he could
show. LaMar died in 1984 at a dog show.  Over the years that I served on the
Board, I had the privilege to serve with Jane and Tom Bennett, Connie
Beckhardt,  Mary Roberts, Helen Fisher, Bill Ford, Scootie Sherlock, Bob Penny,
Jim Moses, Sam Lawrence, Joan Ford, Carmen Battaglia, Dave Rinke and many more
who  contributed a great deal to the club and to the breed.  These were people
that you may have not always agreed with at the board meetings but you went out
to dinner with them afterwards. I remember that when Carmen became president,
the club was $65000 in the red and Sam offered to loan the club the money
interest free to pay the printer of the Review.  Fortunately the printer waited
a while.  the Budget and finance committee was started by Carmen and  a very
able business man was made chairman, his name is Jim Cusick.  As chairman of
the largest income producing committee, the National, I was on that committee.
We worked together.  My husband, Len, came up with the idea of having a cash
register at the National.  We had a great paper trail.  The first year with all
of this in place produced a National profit of $35000.  We didn't have agility,
herding and rally  included in that figure.  those were unheard of events at
that time.

We did have a National where people came together  and enjoyed the breed.
Leslie and Donna were just kids who came with their families and showed some of
their dogs. Patty came with her parents, Leon and Betty.  They advanced from
showing the family dogs to dogs for other people.  Terry Hower brought his kids
to the show ( they were sometimes kept in a large dog crate and no one thought
anything wrong with that. they were safe)  We had 800 plus entries!!!! We were
the BIG National.

Can we try to get back to that time, a time of repect, honor, and care for our
breed?
Kathy