[ SHOWGSD-L ] ( A SERIOUS subject)

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 17:37:29 -0700

( SORRY about the misspelling )   <G>   Dinnertime!!
I think everyone is aware of the difficult job the Board has with many
serious
issues to deal with.  i.e. National locations, low membership, the World
Trials, Anti dog Bills, and lack of good P.R. for the Breed.  Same things
that
concern all of us.  The Board is MUCH appreciated!

uh....However...BUT...  ( sorry )   <G>
They can NEVER expect to start changing the Standard...the very foundation
of this Breed and what it is today without EXPECTING some pretty harsh
reactions!
The Board made this decision.  THE MEMBERSHIP DID NOT!  I would assume that
the
membership of the GSDCSA, Inc. are the very CORE..the breeders, Judges,
handlers,
exhibitors, and Performance people that love this Breed and DO care enough
react strongly to protect what THEY believe is RIGHT.
We should never be condemned or chastised or ridiculed for reacting to this
type of action that will change what we believe to be the Best BREED in the
world..forever in our lifetime!!   The Board should expect no less!
IMO this issue is NOT Jimmy or about who "likes" black and red, or sables,
or Bi colors, or blacks or even about masking genes or albinism or Panda or
Piebald colors..nor about OFA, degrees, or loving owners.  IT's certainly
not
about winning or losing.   This is strictly about the Standard for this
Breed
and what it is and will become!
The Breed began with a mixture of working dogs available as 'The Captain'
used numerous types; including some colors & types we NEVER would think is
in the background of our Breed because we don't see them today.
( ELIMINATED in the process of setting the Breed Standard! )

No matter what we learn about masking genes and albinism we can never change
the fact that whites were never a preferred or a desired color sought after.
With the vote on the specific choice of "fault" or DQ...the results allowed
us
to breed without the concern many had for getting whites in their
litters...or
almost whites.  There was a time it was a major concern.  Say what you want
about masking genes and albinism...when you go to a "white site" you often
see
'varieties'of color.
One that protested my posts long and loudly has a litter from a very pale
silver/white sable ( I "guess"? ) The litter shown has two whites...two
blacks
and a dark sable.
The black has WHITE feet to the pasterns...and the dark red sable has WHITE
feet to the pasterns.   The Panda Shepherd and the Piebald started with
breeders utilizing whites in their program.  You can't argue this truth.
We used to see GSD with both front legs solid white....white blazes and
muzzles
and tails....
..?..WHY condemn the AWSA because they are utilizing white dogs from other
Countries as they try to develop the Breed and continue to BEG for
separation
when we actually consider these "other colors" as GSD's???
A simple quick letter to AKC...just Let them go.
Let them develop  into a wonderful Breed from the foundation of the BEST.
WHY NOT??  Because of DNA??
Then that logic accepts livers, blues, pandas, piebald, Undershot jaws,
floppy ears..( they also OFA, can be highly trained and are much loved )
WHY hold them captive in Limbo for a few hundred more members...or allow the
Breed Standard to regress to the infighting it used to be for a few hundred
more members?

You think it's a nightmare for the BELGIAN BREEDERS!!
Wait till someone buys a bitch and breeds to a dark dog and gets whites in
their litter.   That is the way it used to be....and the animosity between
the
two was PALPABLE!
The whites were called "bucket puppies"....because they were destroyed at
birth rather than some breeders admit they had whites in their lines.
And... It was not because anyone thought it was a 'lethal' gene, or
albinism.
We have been free of all this with the DQ.

SURELY there are other ways to build a membership rather than change our
Standard!?

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com