[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A New AKC survey- LONG

  • From: Lyn Chernak <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxx, hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, LEWIEB@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:04:49 -0800 (PST)

Hello Everyone,

  A while back someone posted to this list concerning this very issue. She
stated that she was an AKC delegate (I found our correspondence which I saved).
We took our replies privately. Below is the introduction she gave to the list
and her position on the subject. I will not relinquish the author, she can take
ownership of this if she wants to. I had made several positive suggestions to
her as to how to handle mix breeds in the sport however none seemed acceptable.

  I am against mixed breeds at the "Show" level which could earn them an AKC
title. Since AKC's conception, they maintained that it was the "Sport of Pure
bred dogs". In the future, what is AKC's plan to help the Breeders of Pure Bred
dogs when sales decrease because of their "need to generate income".

  There was a time not long ago when clubs approached the AKC to take a stand
on "Vicious Dog" laws that were coming up ... AKC took a stand and said that
they were only a dog registry for prue bred dogs. I guess over the years times
have changed.

  Hi All;
As an AKC Delegate, this was one of the questions on the Strategic Planning
Surveys and many felt that this was a great idea to
increase revenues and get people with mixed breeds to shows and perhaps to lure
them into purebreds and the confirmation
ring.
I for one, along with the members of my AB Club are in favor of this. AKC needs
to generate income and needs to help educate
the public in dog care, health etc.

  My response was........

I can understand your financial concern and your hopes to educate people to the
world of purebred dogs, however I do not share your enthusiasm for allowing
mixed breeds to compete with purebred dogs on those merits.

  As I understand it, currently there are mixed breed associations that an
owner can join. These Associations encourage the mixed breed owners to take
their dogs to classes and compete at matches. There are forms that the owner of
a mixed breed can bring with them to have a judge at a match sign which
indicates the dog has passed the required class and has earned a "leg" towards
a title. Earning titles works in a similar manner to the AKC title
requirements. Unfortunately, I believe this is only allowed at the "Fun"
matches which are not AKC sanctioned.

  I have no objection to allowing mixed breeds at an AKC sanctioned match and
also allowing them to compete to earn their legs, however there would not be a
financial gain for the AKC if the entry fee were at the match price. Possibly
the AKC could require a more formal entry from the mixed breed that was
entering for a leg.

  A further concern of mine, as a long time exhibitor of obedience and
performance events, is the "Limited Entry" rules, by allowing mixed breeds to
compete at this level would cause purebreds to be knocked out of an entry
unless further rules were installed.

  I do not support Mixed Breeds in AKC Performance Events at the show level. I
have nothing against mixed breeds and I, like everyone else, has owned a mixed
breed or two.

  I feel that there are many other ways that the AKC can increase revenues and
educate the public without having mix breeds compete in AKC performance events
at a show.

  Since I don't like to be negative without giving position suggestions ....
Here's a positive suggestion that all can benefit by....

  Allow a mixed breed to earn their legs and titles at the match level. The AKC
can collect an entry fee of $35, of which $8 to $10 goes to the sponsoring club
as the match fee and the balance goes to the AKC for the recording and
paperwork for the entry.But to keep this fair, the AKC can collect the fee and
then send the club their money. Since a sanctioned match must be approved prior
to holding the match, the AKC can send out a list of such events or have a
Mixed Breed Superintendent for the match.

  That was the begining of our correspondence, however it ended with a no win.

  JMHO

  Lyn Chernak

Carolyn <marhaven@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Follow the money trail.......................
Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com