[ SHOWGSD-L ] A LURKING DANGER TO YOUR PETS! PLEASE READ!!!!

  • From: TRennie100@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 15:14:45 EDT

A lurking danger to your  pets
From Raw Hides to Rawhide Treats
By Dusti  Summerbird-Lockey
I am an Oglala Lakota artist  and craftsperson. I have been doing Traditional
work such as making rawhide,  tanning leather, beadwork and quillwork for
over 30 years.  It is because  of my knowledge of making rawhide and my deep
love
for all four legged  creatures, most especially my Great Danes, I felt
compelled to write this  article for you. Hopefully it will help save lives.
We see them in all the pet  stores, the grocers, the feed stores. Everywhere.
So we assume they are safe for  our pets. They must be, they are sold
everywhere. Right?
Think again.
Rawhide treats are a danger to your pets, and to  your children if swallowed.

Rawhide is just exactly what  it says, a raw dried out animal hide. This
includes not only the rawhide bones  & chews but also pig ears, pig snouts,
bull
tails, cow ears, lamb ears,  choo-hooves, etc.  The vast majority of rawhide
pet treats are not made in  the United States. But even those marked â??Made in
the U.S.â?? are a hazard.
A piece of rawhide purchased  as a treat for your pet is a hide, usually
bull, cow or horse obtained from  slaughter houses, that has been scraped clean
of
all vestiges of meat, fat and  hair. Rawhide, however, can be made from just
about any animal. For Native  Americans and early Europeans, it was the sheet
metal, nails and binding  material of the day.  Rawhide was used to repair
items such as horse gear  and broken gunstocks. It was used in cabin
construction
as door hinges, windows  and truss bindings and Mandan Indians used rawhide
in the construction of their  boats. As you can see, rawhide is a very strong,
durable, heavy-duty item that  does not easily break down
Still want to give it to your pets?
How is it made? Rawhide is made for  commercial use from bull, cow and
horsehides obtained from slaughterhouses as a  byproduct of the meat industry.
The
flesh side is scraped clean of all  remaining meat, membrane, fat, etc.
Traditionally this is done by hand, using a  drawknife and scraper. Modern day
tanneries use a form of a band saw to speed  the process up and make a nice
clean
piece of leather. Commercial manufacturers  of rawhide products have machinery
to do this.  Once the flesh side is  cleaned, the hair must be removed. There
are two traditional ways of doing this.  One is to â??dry scrapeâ?? by hand.
This
is extremely time consuming, not to mention  the amount of good olâ?? fashioned
elbow grease! Commercial makers of rawhide do  not use this method.
The other method is to soak  the fleshed hide in either an Ash-Lye solution
or a Lime solution. The Ash-Lye  involves covering or soaking the hide in a
mixture of wood ash and water, which  creates Lye. The hide soaks for
approximately. 3 days in the Lye solution, then  as much of the hair as
possible is
scraped off. The process is repeated until  all hair is removed.
The Lime solution is the  quickest and most often utilized by manufacturers.
This utilizes ordinary  builders powdered (hydrated) Lime. The hide soaks for
1-3 days and the hair is  scraped off. This process is highly caustic but the
most efficient for  mass production.
To remove all traces of the  Lime solution and to sanitize the rawhide
product,  commercial makers then rinse the hides in a bleach solution before
creating  whatever shape is to be used. The bone and other shapes used to
attract you
and  your pet are created while the hide is still wet.  The â??treatsâ?? are
then  either dried or sent for â??smokingâ?? to further entice the unsuspecting
owner and  pet. A processed rawhide can shrink up to half its original size
when
dried.
If the chemicals used to make these â??treatsâ?? havenâ??t  convinced you to
stop,
please consider this:
When rawhide is again wetted, usually when your pet salivates  over this chew
you have provided, it will slowly regain its original size. When  your pet
tears off and swallows a piece, that piece then has the potential to  swell
inside your dogâ??s stomach. Your dogâ??s gastric juices WILL NOT break down
the
rawhide. Once swollen, the piece then has the potential to cause anything  from
mild to severe gastric upset, to death.
Been giving rawhide treats for years with no  problems?
My friend, you have been extremely lucky. But your luck WILL  run out one
day.
Are you certain that you want to gamble with your beloved  friendâ??s life?
Donâ??t believe me?
Take the rawhide challenge. Cut varying sizes from different  rawhide
products and set them in a bowl of water to soak before going to bed. In  the
morning
you will see the sizes that they have grown to. They will vary, but  the
increase should be noticeable.
What should you give as a chew treat?
The following products are all digestible and safe for your  pets.
Budda Chew Products- all digestible chew bones  and treats
Muscle Chews- all digestible, contains no hide  product.
Bull Pizzle Chews- all natural alternative to  rawhide.
Healthy Edibles- all natural health chews,  completely digestible and contain
no sugars or fillers. Available at _www.drsfostersmith.com_
(http://www.drsfostersmith.com/)
Raw shank or knuckle bones- these should be  given only under your
supervision and with some knowledge of RAW or BARF feeding  methods.  Contact
Jacque
Jordan at
214 529 8355 for more info on RAW feeding or visit  _www.barfdiet.com_
(http://www.barfdiet.com/)   to learn more.
Kong rubber products are great chew toys, which  can keep dogs very busy,
especially when a little peanut butter and dog biscuits  are wedged inside for
them to work out.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.
(http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017
)