[ SHOWGSD-L ] 2014

  • From: "myjoygs@xxxxxxx" <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 12:35:12 -0400 (EDT)

Just a few things that my mind has been thinking about, uh oh dangerous : )

Not to open up the debate on national locations again.  But I have been
wondering if the parent club has inquired on future dates at the Purina Farms
facility to hold our national.  It is either free or discounted isn't it to
hold an event there?  It seems like other breeds are jumping at the chance to
hold a show there and it is probably filling up pretty fast.  Because we find
our late Sept and early October  dates works best for a majority of people who
have to travel to the National I was just wondering if the facility was being
looked at closely for a future national.  By the way do we know where the
national is in 2014 or sites being considered.  Just wondering.

I would also like to mention that I see many more people in German Shepherds
showing in All Breeds then they use to.  Many dogs are finished with both All
Breed judges and speciality judges.  I for one will enter where ever the good
judges are, there are some good All Breed judges who can pick out a good one.

In regards to the advertising in the Review and who actually advertises in the
review.  I personally enjoy seeing all venues represented in a publication.  My
preference is conformation but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good
performance dog in what ever venue.  A lot of people advertise to brag, to
promote their stud dogs, and to showcase their puppies and their lines.
Performance people can do the same.  The review at the present time has more
ads for conformation, if the obedience, herding, agility people feel like a
minority then get together and change that put more ads in the review.
Advertising is getting your name out there and accomplishments, who knows maybe
someone will see your ad and know someone who is looking for a great
performance dog or a puppy out of a great performance dog.  Send in articles
about your area of interest.  Search and Rescue, Therapy dogs who doesn't want
to read how our breed exceeds in so many areas.  The German Shepherd Dog is not
just a herding dog, it is a versatile dog that is a working dog in so many
areas.  I believe that the review needs to be looked at to encourage
promotional incentives to encourage more advertising.  The last review had B/W
ads that were great!  Finding a way to lower the advertising rate, accepting
articles, critiques, Q/A section, could bulk up the review like many of us
remember it use to be.  Publications are suffering from technology, information
can be had by the stroke of a key, however nothing beats curled up on the couch
leafing through a magazine or book.  Publications just have to try harder now
and think out of the box.

Just sayin : )

Joyce
MyJoy Shepherds