[shoalsbirder] Iceland Gull photos from Wilson Dam yesterday

  • From: "Greg D. Jackson" <g_d_jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AL Birds <ALbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 16:27:03 -0600

AL and Shoals Birders:

As I said in notes to ALBIRDS yesterday, an adult Iceland Gull was below Wilson Dam yesterday morning. The bird was on the southernmost concrete wall extending from the dam in a row of Herring and Ring-billed gulls facing me as I was scoping from the south overlook. What attracted my attention initially is a mark I've found helpful in detection of these in a crowd -- white or nearly white underside to the tip of the folded wing (compared to the black and white patterns shown by Herring and Ring-billed). Once I was clued in to this feature, other identifying characters could be seen, and occasionally it would stretch a wing to show the under-primary pattern. After a short period it started feeding below the dam, unfortunately staying at distance but still allowing some photos of the wing pattern. Sue Moske refound it that afternoon, but I haven't seen any reports from today.

Though many features are good for Thayer's, I believe this bird likely has some intergradation with Kumlien's based on the wing pattern above and below. Both are now ensconced under the moniker of Iceland, so it doesn't matter for the species identification, but still is an interesting challenge (in a gull nerd sort of way).

I've uploaded some distant photos with explanations of many of the characters useful for identifying Thayer's in general, and discussing the Kumlien's issue. We don't get the opportunity to study an adult often in Alabama, so this was a fun experience. Photos begin at:

ICGU ad 020423 Wilson Dam Lauderdale Co AL GregDJackson - 4632b.jpg photo - Greg D. Jackson photos at pbase.com <https://pbase.com/gdjackson/image/173363427>

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

Birmingham, AL