[service-tech13] Curriculum for 2008-2009

  • From: "Jerry Landers" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <service-tech13@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:46:40 -0400

Brothers,

I should have posted this notice here earlier.  I would like to get the
HVAC Curriculum Committee back together for a one hour meeting on
Thursday April 17th, in the Training Office Conference Room at 5:00 PM.
I did have a notice on the Local 13 Website, but should have posted
here.

I have heard a lot of good feedback on using the new UA HVACR Textbook
and associated DVDs, etc,.  Unless there is some serious objection, I
think we should move forward with this curriculum.  What we would need
to do next would be to establish who is teaching what.  I really like
the approach that Tony Vicari suggested, breaking each year's
requirements into (3) 11 week courses.  We wouldn't necessarily change
instructors three times a year, but we would establish fixed points for
assessment and fixed points for beginning new subjects within an
apprentice group.

The first thing I would need to do is order (5) Instructor Manuals and
DVD Sets, and get these into the hands of our September Instructors.
This way you would have some time to digest all the information and
prepare for your new Lesson Plan.  I would then need to order enough
Student textbooks for all HVAC Apprentices.

Our Curriculum Schedule might look something like this.....

First year apprentices would start with 11 weeks of Heritage and Basic
Math Review on Monday Nights, and 11 weeks of Thermal Dynamic Theory on
Wednesdays
Second 11 weeks would focus on Tools, Equipment, Fastners and Tubing
(Mondays) and Basic Refrigeration Cycle Wednesdays
Third 11 week cycle would include First Aid, and Soldering & Brazing
(Mondays), Basic Electricity and Magnetism will be Wednesdays.

Second year apprentices would begin with 1 week Customer Relations
Intro, and 10 weeks of Refrigerant Charateristics on Mondays,
Electrical Motors on Wednesdays
The next 11 week cycle would introduce Basic Comercial Refrigeration
(Evap and Cond) on Monday, and Electrical Controls Wednesdays
Third 11 weeks for 2nd yr apprentices would cover Comercial
Refrigeration Compressors and Automatic Control Components Wednesdays

Third Year Apprentices:  First 11 weeks Air Conditioning (Electric and
Gas Heat) Mondays, Air Conditioning (Cooling) on Wednesdays
Second 11 week Cycle: Air Conditioning (Oil and Hydronic Heat) Mondays,
and Air Conditioning (Controls) Wednesdays
Third Segment: 11 weeks of UA HVAC Star Study Guide (Mechanical and
Blueprints), and Air Conditioning (Troubleshooting) Wednesdays

Fourth Year Apprentices:  11 Weeks of Intermediate Refrigeration
(Components) Tuesdays, All Weather Systems Thursdays
Second 11 Weeks:  Interm, Refrigeration (Applications) Tuesdays, Heat
Pumps on Thursdays
Third 11 Weeks:  Interm. Refrigeration (Ice Machines) Tuesdays, Codes,
Standards and Customer Relations on Thursdays

Fifth Year Apprentices:  11 Weeks of Chillers on Tuesdays, Pneumatic
Controls Thursdays
Second 11 week cycle:  Continue Chilled Water Systems on Tuesdays, DCC
Controls and Customer Relations Thursdays
Third 11 Week cycle: Cooling Towers and Pumps on Tuesdays, UA HVAC Star
Review on Thursdays

Of course these are not yet cast in stone, and we can move items around
to fit our needs.

I will need to put together a list of Journeymen who are interested in
teaching.  If you are currently teaching I will assume you want to teach
again in September unless you tell me otherwise.  I will complete the
above schedule by adding an Instructor to each 11 Week segment.  We will
make it as simple as possible, where one person teaches all three
segements for the First Year Wednesday classes, however I want to keep
open the possibility of having an Instructor with some specific
expertise step in and teach a segement as needed.

We still have work to do!

Jerry Landers
UA Local 13 Training Office
Rochester, NY