[SeniorTech] Re: YouTube movie converter

  • From: Peggy George <pgeorge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:04:51 -0700

These are the online sites I have used for video conversion including YouTube and TeacherTube. I prefer the online sites where I don't have to install software.

Zamzar
http://www.zamzar.com
No software download, convert 1GB files, 100GB inbox, no ads, received converted files in an email with a link to download

This is another great online conversion site: (limit 150MB)
http://media-convert.com/
Why use Media-Convert ? (also recently shared by Kathy Schrock on S.O.S.)
Media-Convert advantages :
*More secure because you do not have to install software on your
computer, which can contain viruses, spywares, etc.

This site allows you to download online video FLV files (such as
YouTube) directly to your desktop or iPod.
http://vixy.net/
This service allows you convert a Flash Video / FLV file (YouTube's
videos,etc) to MPEG4 (AVI/MOV/MP4/MP3/3GP) file online.
When you submit a url, it will download and convert to the video
format. Then you can download the converted file.

There was a recent discussion on Twitter about the legality of downloading YouTube videos to your computer. Basically, if you follow the licensing agreement on YouTube, it's probably not "legal." However, I know many educators who do this because they don't have the streaming bandwidth in their schools to use the videos online (and YouTube is generally blocked in schools).

One person's summation (a technology coordinator for a school district)
Oh well, so much for Zamzar, ripping YouTube content is a violation of their TOS: http://www.youtube.com/t/terms

Found this on the YouTube site.
"Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of an audiovisual work via the Internet from the YouTube Service to a user's device in such a manner that the data is intended for real- time viewing and not intended to be copied, stored, permanently downloaded, or redistributed by the user. Accessing User Videos for any purpose or in any manner other than Streaming is expressly prohibited. User Videos are made available "as is."

Just wanted to share my 2 cents worth on the topic.
Peggy
----------

On Mar 15, 2008, at 8:28 PM, David Fincher wrote:

Hey, this is great. Thanks for the tip on the download. Are we sure it is legal? I have discovered you can find just about any song on Youtube.

Dave Fincher
okkid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
For a long time, I have been looking for an easy way to download and convert YouTube videos to other more "easy-to-use" formats (MPG, AVI, etc.). But all the converters I found required a number of "intermediate steps" (changing to "FLY" etc.). Too much trouble.

Well, thanks to a reference in good ol' "Computer Link" magazine, I finally found a (free) converter that is WAY COOL. I just tried it and ended up with a "MPG" of a YouTube video in less than a minute.

You can download it here:

http://www.cubedlabs.com/

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Jer