[SeniorTech] Holiday scams (A tip from SeniorTech)

  • From: "Jerry Taylor" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:34:07 -0500

'TIS THE SEASON FOR.SCAMS

I suppose cybercriminals need to buy Christmas gifts for their families,
too. Each year around the holidays, you can expect more scams. That's
especially true this year. The worsening economy is leading to more
crime. So, you need to be extra, extra vigilant.

This week, a friend's mother forwarded him an e-mail she received. It
was purportedly from AOL. The message said that her billing information
was "out of order." It urged her to update her information. The message
warned that her service could be suspended. There were also vague
threats about Terms of Service violations and "future problems."

Fake "warnings" such as this one are part of a "phishing" scam. I warned
him to tell her not to respond to it. Just delete it! You should ignore