[SeniorTech] Re: Biography-Robert M Keller Complete Directory of Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs).

  • From: "Robert M Keller" <rmkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:39:02 -0500

Interesting that you should ask. I wanted this group to be aware of a
research project I have just completed and published.

I have completed the Complete Directory of Continuing Care Retirement
Communities (CCRCs). The Directory was produced to assist consumers in
finding CCRCs that meet their Financial, Health Care and Estate Planning
Priorities. A CCRC is defined as a facility that provides ?a long-term care
alternative providing a package of services, including housing, health care
and social services, to the elderly.? More specifically, a CCRC (1) provides
independent living units?; (2) guarantees a range of health care and social
services?; (3) requires some type of prepayment, generally an entrance fee
and/or monthly fees? (4) and offers a contract that lasts for more than one
year or for life... (Journal of Housing for the Elderly, Volume 3: Issue ½.
ISSN:0276-3893 Pub Date:1/20/1986.)

My research in preparing this directory has shown that it is important to
ask the right questions on CCRCs. For example, ?Do they refund your Entrance
Fee after you are gone?? or ?Do they cover long-term-care under terms of the
fees, or is it fee-for-service?? The Directory answers those questions for
each facility in the database. (There are many retirement communities that
provide some of these services, or do not charge entrance fees. These are
not included in this directory.)

This Directory contains data from 917 CCRCs across the US which meet the
criteria above. . The Directory is described at http://www.ccrcdata.org
<http://www.ccrcdata.org/>  and is available as Email Distribution (2.3 MB),
CD-ROM (2.3 MB) or printed (379 pages).

This directory has data on Entrance and Monthly Fees, Amenities, and, what
will be of great interest to many who are thinking about/looking for or
considering moving to a CCRC, how these facilities provide (or don?t
provide) for long-term-care and which ones give you a refund of your
Entrance Fees. The results may surprise you.

I have produced this publication to help others become more informed
consumers for retirement communities and CCRCs.

  _____