[Section 31] "History of the Future: Part 2"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: section31@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:13:23 -0800 (PST)

    **Note: Background log for Julie Devine, previously released on USS Avalon**

  History of the Future:  Bringers of Apocaplyse
Part 2 - The Project
Julie Devine

"I?m convinced."
  "We thought you may see the advantage of our project, sir."
  "Indeed. With the UCP stepping up their aggression, supplies are running low,
but I?m transferring more funding to the Service for it. How soon will your
soldiers be ready, Brooks?"
  "You have to understand that this is a long term project. We?ve invested
eight years into these children. We can?t rush."
  "I?m not asking you to rush, I?m inquiring as to when they?ll be ready to
infiltrate the UCP."
  "I think four years should put the youngest one at 16; enough to fix the
paperwork and enter them into the programs. They?ll train quickly and rise in
ranks, be put in positions of command. Positions to make the difference."
Captain Brooks spoke passionately about his project. Having dedicated his life
to the Service, the elite group of scientists within the Alliance, he was
beginning to see his dreams to fruition.
  The Alliance had been at war with the UCP for over a century, constantly
vying for power, each in the name of peace, but mostly seeking out the few
resources of the galaxy. Exploration had come to a standstill with both
factions channeling their monies to the war effort.
  Brooks? epiphany had come to him as he was studying the increased temporal
displacements due to the major skirmishes taking place in the explored
quadrants. What if we could utilize them to change our future?
  "I?m still not pleased with the fact you used children."
  "Neither am I. But it was the only way to succeed. They had to be
impressionable. They had to be intelligent. And they must have no familial
attachments."
  "Orphans."
  "Precisely. We?ve worked hard at training them, conditioning them to be
closed off to those around them while cultivating a desire to please and gain
acceptance. The perfect soldiers."
  "And how did you accomplish this?"
  "Adopted them out, repeatedly, to our own agents undercover. A six month stay
here, a year there, and they were always returned to the orphanage."
  "Then Mensano works on training them in military ways," he filled in the
blank.
  "Actually, Mensano only works with one. Six children, six trainers."
  "I see. And how do you train them for their true mission?"
  "Are you sure you want to know?"
  ***
  Angled and precise seemed to be the best description of the laboratories. Ice
and steel were the impression one was left with. And silence. They all worked
in silence.
  Gerard moved through the corridors cradling the child in his arms. He had
done so for years and the increased weight with her growth didn?t concern him.
Her long, loose curls grazed his arms and he tried not to look at the serene
sleep etched upon her face, the dreamless perfection of sedation. Walking in
the still atmosphere, he knew his destination, for he visited nightly. Tonight,
he would sit with the girl as she went through the process.
  Entering the black-lit room, Gerard laid his burden upon the tiny bed and
adjusted her arms, crossing her hands upon her stomach with kindness, making
her as comfortable as possible.
  And then they came.
  Two men and a woman filed into the room. Not a word was spoken as they formed
a triangle around the girl?s head. One took his place at the top of the bed,
the other two on each side. Gerard melted into the shadows as they extended
their hands until overlapping, hovering over the child?s face, as they began
their work.
  With each subtle shift of their hands, the three manipulated the child's
mind; she whimpered. In silence they programmed her to do what they needed; she
writhed. Their control of her mind was complete, their desires inserted deeper
inside her, where no one, not even herself, could ever find them. Her face
contorted as they bypassed all the barriers previously built.
  Gerard had long been desensitized to the process. He didn?t even flinch when
the child screamed, blood beginning to trail from her nose. Stepping up to the
table, sure to not interfere with the trance of the telepaths, he turned her
head to the side as she began choking on the blood running down the back of her
throat. The process would take hours before Gerard could wash the mess from her
face and hair, returning her to the orphanage so she could awaken in her own
bed.
  ***
  "You?re abusing her."
  "I know," Mensano sighed. "But it?s for her benefit. She?ll thank me one day."
  "But she?s made so much progress! Can?t you ease up just a bit? You don?t see
what they put those children through at night. And then to spend the day
training their bodies to keep up with their minds..."
  "So noted, Gerard, but it?s not possible."
  "Four languages! She?s twelve and speaks four languages fluently, as well as
proficiency in the ancient arts. At least stop drowning her."
  "And you became my conscience, when, Gerard?"
  "I?ve always been your conscience, sir. You just never noticed until now.
Perhaps your real one is making its way through the murky waters to the light
of day."
  "Perhaps my real one drowned years ago."

Yahoo! Photos ? Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
 Photo Books. You design it and we?ll bind it!