[Section 31] "Answers and Decisions"

  • From: "Alex Swane" <tristan_xenatos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Section31@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:34:41 -0400

<<OOC: Sorry it took me so long to get this out all, Real Life has been a trip here lately.>>

"Answers and Decisions"
Alex Swane

        The salty smell of the ocean beating against the shore filled Alex?s nose as he once again entered onto the holodeck. However this time he was not alone as he walked through the archway.

    ?She must already be here, somewhere.? Mark said as they walked down a narrow set of wooden steps set into the side of a small slope.

    ?Must be.? Alex replied absent mindedly. He squinted as he turned his head upwards the look at the sky. It was amazing how much one missed looking up and seeing the blue atmosphere over one?s head. The star lines and dots against the black canvas of space were far less soothing.

    It was nearly 1100 and it would not be long until the three of them returned to duty. It was Alex?s idea to meet here before going to the bridge. He needed to speak to them, both of them. ?Mark,? he said turning towards his friend.

    ?Yes?? Mark looked up, sliding his hands into the pockets of his faded jeans. The loose blue over shirt he wore open over a white t-shirt fluttered in the midday breeze.

    ?Nothing we have is for certain.? Alex said flatly, growing tired of double talk and suggestive hinting. ?Life is full of variables. And unpredictable ones at that.? The same breeze blowing Mark?s shirt rustled the leg of the loose fitting khakis Alex wore. He had kicked his shoes off and was now walking barefoot along the sand.

    Mark returned his gaze, puzzled. ?What?s brought this on all a sudden??

    ?I feel we get to complacent in life. We get comfortable and we settle.? Alex continued, answering, while seeming to ignore, Mark?s question. ?But the truth is, we never know when something is going to come along and shake the very foundation on which we have built our life.?

    Mark was obviously taken aback by his friend?s sudden philosophical rant, but he simply nodded along. ?Has something happened Alex??

    ?No,? Alex lied, responding almost too quickly. ?But my point is, we never know when something might.? A few gulls flew in a loose formation above their heads, squeaking and calling to one another in high pitched tones.

    ?We cannot go through life fearing what we do not know. The unknown is the very nature of our work.? Mark spouted the same line that Alex himself had spoken so many times.

    Alex opened his mouth to speak again, but Mark beat him to it. ?Hey, there she is.? The two had come stopped on the precipice of a small cliff, and as Alex?s eyes followed Mark?s finger, he saw her laying below in a small cove. The ocean spray that was gently falling on her from the rocks ringing the cove had soaked her and the clothes she was wearing. A long white shirt clung to her slight frame, which was covered otherwise by a deep green two piece bathing suit.

    The mostly self serving rant ended and Alex transitioned to what he really needed to say at the sight of her. ?Mark, just make me a promise.?

    ?Anything.?

    ?If anything ever happens to me, take care of her, ok?? The full meaning behind those words was lost on Mark at this point. He would know truly what Alex meant in good time.

    ?Of course, though let?s try to avoid anything happening to you, eh??

    Alex smiled, trying hard to cover the sadness he felt at those words. He was unable to verbally reply, so he simply nodded.

    ?Alice!? Mark called as he started down the steep side of the cliff. Alex watched, hoping he had not said to much. If things worked out like Mic wanted them too, his words on this cliff would scream suspicion. They would wonder at first, but with time, suspicion would fade and give way to acceptance.

    Alex began moving down the cliff behind his friend as Alice looked up and finally noticed them. She smiled and stood to greet them, the shirt she wore, being long on her, clung to the sides of her legs, the loose arms flowing in the gentle sea breeze. She smiled and waved as the two approached.

***

        Shadows danced around the small open area, cast down upon the mixture of sand and stubby grass by the tall trees growing up where the beach met the forest. She walked along, now changed into long, loose flowing white pants. She wore the same shirt she had earlier, though it had now dried and was nipping at her legs with the breeze. Coupled with her long blonde hair whisping down and around her ears, it all gave her an almost Elven appearance.

    He turned to look at her, squinting in the simulated late afternoon sun. He opened his mouth to speak, but as always she was one step ahead of him. ?What is it Alex?? She turned her head slowly to gaze into his eyes. Dirty trick?.

    ?Alice?? He started, feeling the lump begin to swell in his throat.  ?I want you to make me a promise.? He said breaking her gaze and looking back to the beach. Mark had stopped a ways back to feed a few gulls circling low.

    ?Name it.? She was still holding her gaze towards him.

    ?Promise me that you will never hold yourself back.? He paused, collecting his thoughts. ?I never want you to refuse yourself something because of me.? He met her eyes. He chose his words carefully, not wanting to tip his hand. Not wanting to reveal what he was really saying?for both their sakes.

   ?Alex??

    ?Just promise me Alice.?

    She must have caught the seriousness of his tone, for her answer was uncharacteristically strait forward. ?I promise.?

    ?Thank you,? he replied gently.

    She reached out and took his hand, gently kissing him on his cheek. ?Now cheer up will you.? She said with a playful smile. ?We have plenty of time to figure all this out Alex.?

    Time? Thankfully she turned her head to look at something in the distance, thankfully she did not turn back for a moment, thankfully?she did not see the streaks running down his cheek.

***

        Alex sat atop a stone on a low cliff?s edge overlooking the beach below. He could see his friends from here, but could not hear them. He had made some excuse to wander off after talking to Alice. Mark had caught up to them and it was?just too awkward.

    He shifted his position on the rock he sat on, watching his friends below him. Their faces were serious at times, no doubt discussing him and their respective conversations with him. But for the most part they were smiling and laughing.

   Beside him sat the twin daggers he had received from Mic, their polished surfaces glinting in the sunlight. His eyes danced between them and his friends, his mind using them almost as weights on the scale of his decision. As he viewed the daggers, Mic?s words rung in his mind. Do you honestly think you will ever reach your full potential aboard this vessel? Alex had already answered that question to himself. He looked back up, his eyes focusing on Alice. Do you think the two of you will ever be as happy together?as you could be apart? Once again Mic?s words echoed in his head. Alex had not answered that one. But neither of those two question, whether with or without answer were what was currently troubling his mind.

    Alex picked up one of the daggers and held it in his hand, looking into it at his reflection. He had felt, had known, that Alice had feelings for both him and Mark. The question was which of them she truly loved. He had told himself that she had answered that when she chose him. But had she chosen him because she felt more for him, because she loved him? Or had she chosen him because he had been the more aggressive of the two, because he made the first move?

    He looked back up at his friends, this time focusing on both of them, together. And as he did, the third question, the one that added to Mic?s duo, finally came to the surface of his mind. Will she ever be as happy with me, as she could be with him?

    The world spun with that question. Emotions Alex was unaware existed flooded his being. His body felt numb while his mind was on fire, he felt everything?and yet nothing. As he tore his eyes away from the two people before him he gazed back downwards. Small drops began to dampen the blade in his lap as he answered the third question. And with that answer, and those tears, came his decision.

***

        Mic turned a corner walking quickly down a corridor. The time was drawing near for the young potential to make his choice. Choice the word thundered though his mind. He scoffed aloud. The truth was that the boy had no more choice in the matter then cattle being led down the shoot to slaughter.

    He turned another corner rushing along though the ship, there was much to do, many preparations. This had to go off without a hitch, had to be perfect. He smiled to himself, that old familiar rush of adrenaline coming back into his muscles. This is what he lived for. Seeing a plan develop and go off successfully, and to know that his hands molded and shaped that plan, and its subsequent actions.

    He passed a wall panel and glanced at the chrono. The time was drawing nigh. One of two things was about to happen. Either he was about to destroy a young man?s entire life, not to mention those of the ones close to him. Or he was about to welcome a new brother into the open arms of the family. While those around the man would still be hurt, Mic could only hope the young Lieutenant was smart enough to choose the latter.

    As he reached the point he had been moving towards, he stopped and reached into his pocket, removing a small object. He pressed his back against the wall and depressed a button on the small device he had pulled from his pocket. In an instant Mic shimmered away, his work on this vessel done, he moved to put the next part of the plan into action.

Save time by starting a search from any Web page with the MSN Search Toolbar-FREE!