[sdaa_bod] Re: Donation?

  • From: Dave Decker <davemobile@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sdaa_bod@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 21:01:34 -0700

FYI, I got his message and forwarded to the Board, and have not responded to him. I did research the B&L Criterion 8000. It is a later version of the Criterion Dynamax 8, an 8" SCT on fork mount, which is probably responsible for the demise of Criterion! It is definitely not the equal to the Criterion RV-6 and RV-8 Newtonians.

I don't think we need to pick up this scope. I am inclined to just turn it down and refer James to the website for membership application if he is interested. If the board agrees, I would be happy to do that.

Dave D

On 3/26/2018 19:43, Mike Chasin (Redacted sender mikechasin for DMARC) wrote:

Sorry. This guy.

Sent this to sdaa@xxxxxxxx <mailto:sdaa@xxxxxxxx> a couple of days ago but sending here too.

Hello SD Astronomers!

My father recently passed away and left a Bausch&Lomb Criterion 8000 with a field tripod and equatorial mount (or maybe it's a wedge?  not sure the difference).   I have the manuals for it, and some gee-gaws that came with it.

I tried using it, but it's out of alignment/collimation and it's beyond my meager skills to tune.

So I was thinking of donating it to SDAA.  I was thinking that you'd have someone fully capable of bringing it to sharpness and then you'd have it for public events.  Or to give to a youngster astronomer who can't afford a scope.  Or you'd find some other worthy use for it.  It would have pleased my Dad greatly to know that's where his scope ended up.  And me too!

I was wondering if you'd trade a year or two of "Contributing Membership" for it?

And I'm a terrible negotiator so if you can't do that, I'd like you guys/gals to have it anyway as a free and clear donation!  😊

What do you think?

On Mar 26, 2018, at 7:40 PM, scott dixon <gscottdixon@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gscottdixon@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

What guy?