Re: [Scoaa-members] Racing a Seawind 1000

  • From: Joe Siudzinski <siudzinski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scoaa-members@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:06:24 -0700

For a jackline I run a line from my (custom) main halyard cleat on the mast down the center of the boat to the tubing junction aft of the hardtop where my (custom) support pole is attached. Pictures (scroll down):

http://www.katiekat.net/Cruise/KatieKat2002J.html#112102

Would perhaps be better if it were mountain-climbing tubing (like my grablines) and tightly tensioned.

http://www.katiekat.net/Cruise/CruiseVPhotos/JoeApproachingLordHowe.jpg

Tether length is hopefully short enough to prevent MOB, yet allows full mobility from cockpit to mast.

Incidentally, I've become so used to those stabilizing grablines that I felt quite uncomfortable going forward after I took them off (I've since put them back on permanently) - just need to replace them periodically due to inevitable UV-induced degradation. Used to be I only put them on for passagemaking, but San Francisco Bay can be a little bumpy...

I'm also interested in knowing where a MOB pole can be mounted on a SW1000.

Joe Siudzinski

On Aug 29, 2010, at 17:54, Michael Zotzky wrote:

We are doing a 150 mile overnight race down the coast. We are five for five in this race on a Corsair 28R, but this year decided to sail the Seawind instead and torment the cruising boat fleet. I know how to sail the boat, but wondered what owners are doing re:

        • Rigging jacklines
        • Carrying the MOB pole

Or anything else of interest around crew safety in offshore, overnight sailing. Thanks in advance,

Michael Zotzky