[sarcmembers] GPS Calibration

  • From: "Eric Lemmon" <wb6fly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sarcmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:19:31 -0800

Hello, SARC Members!

Some of you may not be aware that there is a USGS Azimuth Mark in our
"backyard" about 1/3 of the distance from the Clubhouse to the 404 foot
tower.  It is a bronze survey marker disk, set in the top of a concrete
pillar that projects a few inches above the ground.  It is associated with
the STAR triangulation mark that is about 1/4 mile south of the Clubhouse.

Since one of my hobbies is the recovery of long-forgotten survey markers, I
chose to recover the STAR station mark and all three of the reference marks
during the holidays.  While locating the station and reference marks, I used
my Promark X-CM precision GPS unit to determine the exact coordinates
(within about 5cm) of the Azimuth Mark.  If you have a GPS receiver, and
wish to verify its accuracy, please compare its reading to the following
coordinates, first making certain that your receiver has been collecting
data for at least 12 minutes, and it is set to display coordinates on the
NAD83 datum:

Latitude:  34 degrees 48 minutes 49.512 seconds
Longitude:  120 degrees 30 minutes 00.246 seconds
Elevation:  863.7 feet AMSL

I hope to see all of you at the monthly SARC meeting, this coming Saturday,
January 9th.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

only accept email from subscribed members so SPAMMERS
will not get your email address

'unsubscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi