[sanesecurity] Re: MSRBL signatures

  • From: Gary V <mr88talent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 13:48:07 -0700

On 11/28/10, Bill Landry wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 11:32 AM, Steve Basford wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Sanesecurity rsync mirrors are reporting constant pounding with sites
>> requesting MSRBL signature databases. Sanesecurity *does not distribute
>> these signature databases*.
>>
>> Please could you all check your script configurations and ensure that
>> MSRBL signatures aren't downloaded from the Sanesecurity mirrors (ie.
>> rsync.sanesecurity.net) and
>> are in fact downloaded from *rsync://rsync.mirror.msrbl.com/msrbl/
>>
>> *MSRBL signatures have been removed from most download scripts now, as
>> the MSRBL signatures haven't been updated in over a year (last update:
>> 2009/07/24).
>
> Thanks Steve!
>
> And to stress that this advice should not be ignored or taken lightly,
> some (possibly all) of the rsync mirror sites are blacklisting sites
> that constantly request MSRBL signature updates.  There are currently
> 368 sites that are being block by the rsync blacklist.  Once these sites
> remove the MSRBL requests from the download scripts and request
> delisting here on the Sanesecurity users list, they will once again have
> access to Sanesecurity signature updates.  Until then, they will have no
> access to any Sanesecurity signature updates.
>
> Please also note that Sanesecurity DOES NOT distribute SecuriteInfo
> signature databases, so DO NOT request those from the Sanesecurity rsync
> mirrors either, lest you also risk being added to the blacklist.  For
> example, this will potentially get you added to the blacklist:
>
> ==========
> rsync: link_stat "honeynet.hdb" (in sanesecurity) failed: No such file
> or directory
> rsync: link_stat "honeynet.hdb.sig" (in sanesecurity) failed: No such
> file or directory
> rsync: link_stat "securiteinfo.hdb" (in sanesecurity) failed: No such
> file or directory
> rsync: link_stat "securiteinfo.hdb.sig" (in sanesecurity) failed: No
> such file or directory
> rsync: link_stat "vx.hdb" (in sanesecurity) failed: No such file or
> directory
> rsync: link_stat "vx.hdb.sig" (in sanesecurity) failed: No such file or
> directory
> ==========
>
> These are NOT Sanesecurity distribute signature databases, download
> these signature database from the SecuriteInfo download site.
>
> I might also add that all script users should periodically check the
> output of their download script for errors.  We are also seeing requests
> like the following:
>
> ==========
> rsync: link_stat "#" (in sanesecurity)failed: No such file or directory
> rsync: link_stat "#.sig" (in sanesecurity)failed: No such file or directory
> rsync: link_stat ":" (in sanesecurity)failed: No such file or directory
> rsync: link_stat ":.sig" (in sanesecurity)failed: No such file or directory
> [...]

In clamav-unofficial-sigs.conf it does state something like:

# Add or remove database file names between quote marks as needed.  To
# disable usage of any of the Sanesecurity distributed database files
# shown, remove the database file name from the quoted section below.
# To disable usage of all Sanesecurity distributed databases, comment
# all of the quoted lines below.

But it may not hurt to add "Do NOT comment out individual databases!"

--
Gary V