[samscommunity] College Scholarships - PAY attention to DEADLINES

  • From: "WANDA WYLIE" <wwylie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <samscommunity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:33:26 -0500

Parents and family members of High School Students:

Many high school students are receiving letters of acceptance from colleges and
universities.  Now is the time to search for possible scholarships to assist in
paying for that college education.  Check out the sites below for information
about financial aid.  In some instances, you may have to do additional research
to find one that fits the student.

I will try to send additional information as I receive it.

W. Wylie

1.  The following website has information about college scholarships.  There
are a vast array of search terms to help find scholarships specific to a
person's needs.
http://www.fastweb.com/

2.  This site has a list of scholarships available.  For some of them, the
student can nominate himself/herself.
http://www.discusawards.com/list-of-scholarships

3.  The scholarships on this site are organized by deadline:
http://www.college-financial-aid-advice.com/scholarships-for-college.html

4.  It's never too early to start applying for scholarships.  Some of these
scholarships are open to current high school students.  There is one for
students in 7th grade.
http://www.college-financial-aid-advice.com/scholarships-for-high-school-students.html

5.  The scholarships on this site are open to any eligible participants.  Many
of them require the student to demonstrate community service.
http://scholarshipamerica.org/open_scholarships.php

6.  After signing up for an account, you can search for scholarships based on
state, ethnicity, race, religion, major, and there is an advanced search option.
https://www.mycollegeoptions.org/SC/0/South-Carolina/search-results-scholarship-search-by-location.aspx

7.  South Carolina's Information Highway (SCIWAY)  provides a financial aid
directory for South Carolina residents.
http://www.sciway.net/finaid.html

In addition to the above sites, check your local churches, community service
organizations, fraternities and sororities, and local college alumni
associations for additional scholarships.  Oftentimes, students can speak to
their employers to see if the company has a scholarship available.  You can
also do a search for scholarships related to the student's major and/or
interests.

Ms. Wanda Wylie
Eighth Grade ELA
St. Andrews Middle School
1231 Bluefield Road
Columbia, SC 29210
803-731-8910 ext. 3215
803-731-8913 (Fax)

~ "I'm not an overachiever; I just work hard." - Dr. Donna Ford, 2011

 Richland County School District One provides
employee e-mail access for administrative and
instructional uses only. E-mail correspondence
to/from Richland County School District One is
 considered public information and is subject
to release under the South Carolina Freedom Of
   Information Act or pursuant to subpoena.