[sac-forum] Re: The Problem with Imaging

  • From: Gray Olson <golson17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:23:03 -0700

I wasn't dismissing narrowband imaging as an invalid form, only saying that
it didn't fall into the category "really there" that the original poster
mentioned. I personally like narrowband images a lot.

I disagree we are incapable of capturing the same dynamic range in an image
as the eye can. You can do this by using HDR photography which uses
different exposure lengths and combines them into one image to create high
dynamic range. So, not every picture of orion has to be overblown in order
to see the faint detail as you seem to imply. You can do several different
exposure lengths to capture all the data from the bright core as well as
the faint nebulosity around it.