[sac-forum] Re: Strange Request?

  • From: David Hofland <hofland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:27:34 -0500 (CDT)

Oh Perfecto!  Thanks AJ!

David Hofland
Director, Student Services - BSN
hofland@xxxxxxx
256-782-5276

----- Original Message -----

From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 1:26:14 PM
Subject: [sac-forum] Re: Strange Request?

David, caught me at the right time.  Here it is -

For the September column we will take on Cygnus – again.   There are a lot of
different objects here and we will look at almost every kind, save galaxies.
This will take us around most of the constellation so enjoy.   For starters
take a look at the lovely triple star 17 Cygni .   These stars are bright,
widely separated and have some color contrast.   What colors do you see?   Next
are two dark nebula, Barnard 145 and 146 .   Describe these two and including
their shape and opaqueness.   Which of them is the darker?   Moving a little to
the north is NGC6866 , an open cluster.   It is pretty rich but how else would
you describe this nice gem?   A little more to the northeast is the next open
cluster NGC6811 .   This one doesn’t have quite as many stars but is larger.
Now for an interesting piece of NGC history for the next object, a planetary
nebula.   It has two designations NGC6766 and NGC6884 .   The difference in the
number is due to an error in RA, for 6766, when originally catalogued.   Note
it is a small faint planetary so a finder chart may be helpful.   This next
open cluster, NGC6895 , appears to be a nice clump of stars in the Milky Way.
How clumpy does it look to you?   Now to another dark nebula - Le Gentil 3 .
It is located at RA 21 00.0 Dec +51° 00 and has no magnitude but that’s normal
for dark nebula.   It is huge, possibly visible to the naked eye and sometimes
called the Funnel Cloud.   Going back to open clusters is NGC7031 that is said
to look like a cluster of multiple stars.   Does it look like this to you in
your telescope and, by the way what type of Trumpler code would you supply?
NGC7039 is the next object, another open cluster and is much larger than the
prior open cluster.   Finally we get to the last object NGC6997 located in the
eastern part of the North American Nebula.   How much nebulosity do you see
here along with the cluster?

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ