[sac-forum] Sign Up for Mt. Graham International Observatory Tour June 19, 2010

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:24:31 -0700

Bring a check to tonight's meeting!

Saguaro Astronomy Club:

This Fieldtrip has been reserved for a maximum of 18 folks Saturday June 19,
2010 ~9am until 5pm $40perPerson(includes lunch) meets in Safford which is
~140miles/3.5hours from midPhoenix.

So, peruse the information below which is annotated from Discovery Park's site;
and, if this is the fieldtrip of your dreams:

1. Reserve your spot NOW this sells out quickly. Email M24@xxxxxxx with your
reservation--include 1. name(s) 2.sandwich/drink choices from list below 3. If
you'd like to drive a carpool, how many you can take, and part of town your're
located in.
RESERVATIONS WILL BE BOOKED IN THE ORDER OF PAYMENT RECEIVED!

2. Make check for $40pp payable to Jennifer Polakis noting SACFieldtrip6.19.10
and mail to:

Jennifer Polakis
121 W. Alameda Drive
Tempe, Arizona  85282
Or: OR bring cash or check to the SAC meeting.

(I will make one big check to pay to Eastern Arizona College as requested and
will save the SAC treasurer the bookeeping for this (OK Fred???)

RESERVATIONS WILL BE BOOKED IN THE ORDER OF PAYMENT RECEIVED--If you need to
cancel your reservation prior to the trip, you will be co-ordinated with the
waiting list of folks reserving after the 18 spaces are filled.

This fieldtrip will be offered on AZobserving after May 1, 2010 if not booked
to capacity.

Information from Discovery Park:

  a.. Meet here at Discovery Park at 9:00 am for a brief orientation
  b.. We drive you up to the top of the mountain to have lunch at Columbine
Ranger Station
  c.. The drive has several curves and hairpin turns
  d.. If you get car sick you will need to bring some Dramamine for nausea.
  e.. The observatories are 10,500 feet in elevation, so if you have a
respiratory or heart condition, this may not be the tour for you.
  f.. We do a lot of standing and walking.  Two of the observatories have
elevators, one does not.
  g.. The temperature will be 30 degrees cooler, therefore a light jacket is
recommended.
  h.. The observatories require us to wear close-toed walking shoes for safety.
  i.. You will definitely want to bring a camera along.  Sunglasses are also
suggested.

After we eat lunch we proceed to the observatories and will tour the control
rooms, the living quarters, the research data rooms, etc. of all three
observatories:  The Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope, the Arizona Radio
Observatory, and the Large Binocular Telescope.  If there are any astronomers
awake and available, we will be able to speak to them and ask them questions
also.

We arrive back here at Discovery Park between 4:00 and 5:00 pm.

Discovery Park will also need to know the names of all attendees as they must
submit each visitor's name to the US Forest Service in order to obtain a permit
that we must take with us on the tour.

The sack lunch includes a sandwich (make your choices from the items listed
below), a bag of chips, a cookie, and a drink.  Please choose from the
following items:

Bread choices:              white, wheat, or onion roll.

Meat choices:                balogne, ham, pastrami, roast beef, salami, or
turkey.

Cheese choices:            American, pepperjack, provolone, or Swiss.

Condiment choices:       bell peppers, lettuce, onion, pickle, tomato,
mayonnaise, & mustard

Drink choices:               Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, rootbeer,
Sprite, canned tea, Dr. Pepper, or bottled water.

We are located on the corner of 20th Avenue and Discovery Park Boulevard in
Safford.