[sac-forum] RASC Handbook - 2014 Edition

  • From: "David M. Douglass" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 12:18:36 -0700

In previous years, EVAC has been an ordering source for members of EVAC and
SAC for the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada  (RASC) annual printing of
the Observer's Handbook. We are now advised that the 2014 edition is
available for order. Since I will not be at the November EVAC (or SAC)
meeting (will be in Tucson), I have reviewed the situation with Claude
Haynes (EVAC President), and we are going to make this announcement via
EVACONLINE and the SAC-Forum listservers. Interested parties can Order this
handbook by emailing me their order. The initial order will be placed on Dec
16th, and we will expect to have the books available at the January EVAC and
SAC meetings. Payment can be made at the time of delivery.

If interested, or if you know you want to order a copy, please email me at:
<mailto:david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The book "lists" on the RASC website for $27.95 + S/H from Canada ($38.20
Total), or $26 + S/H from the Astronomical League Store (if you are an AL
member). We will make these books available for a cost of $35 total,
delivered to the EVAC or SAC meetings. If as a group, we order more than 10
books, we will get a price break, and will lower the price we charge to $32,
passing the savings on.  These prices are for the "INITIAL" order only.

More information on the book can be found on the RASC website here:

 <http://www.rasc.ca/observers-handbook>
http://www.rasc.ca/observers-handbook

Some of the information from their website is shown below:

 <http://www.rasc.ca/> Home >  <http://www.rasc.ca/rasc-publications> RASC
Publications

Observer's Handbook

Earth Centered Universe (ECU), free PC planetarium software is included with
each Handbook.

See www.nova-astro.com/handbook <http://www.nova-astro.com/handbook/> .

The Observer's Handbook is a 352-page guide published annually since 1907 by
The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. Through its long tradition and the
expertise of more than 60 contributors, the Observer's Handbook has come to
be regarded as the standard North American reference for data on the sky.
The material in the Handbook is of interest to professional and amateur
astronomers, scientists, teachers at all levels, students, science writers,
campers, Scout and Guide leaders, as well as interested general readers. The
Observer's Handbook is an integral part of many astronomy courses at the
secondary and university levels, and it should be on the reference shelf of
every library. The various sections in the Observer's Handbook are of two
kinds:

Upcoming Astronomical Events -and- Astronomical Reference Information.

David M. Douglass

david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cell  (602) 908-9092