[sac-forum] Re: Question for the emeriti in the group...

  • From: Gene A Lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 20:02:56 -0700

Yes, Wally Brown was an early SAC member. But Wally passed away several years ago. Regarding any copyright issues for the materials that Wally authored, I do not know how to contact his family. I have copies of the materials that Wally originated (that was 30 years ago), and that material is also in the hands of AJ Crayon (our Messier Marathon guru) and several others. There were no further updates to Wally's booklet. He submitted it for publication to several of the astronomy magazine publishers, but they took no action... In other words, he was blocked from further submittals. SAC has no legal standing, and so there is no possibility of any copyright action from the club.

I believe that if the requestor simply re-worked the material, quoting portions and citing Wally's authorship, it would be permissible under the "fair use" doctrine.

Gene Lucas

On 3/7/2011 7:19 PM, AJ Crayon wrote:
Chris, I remember Wally Brown producing this document which, at that time, was an excellent source for observing. (BTW, Wally was the first chairman for the newly formed Deep Sky Group.) We had a similar request like this some 10 or 15 years ago and couldn't find a way to contact any of Wally's next of kin. He passed away over a decade ago, the date of which I'm not certain. It was suggested that the requestor go ahead with his project and see if anything turns up. We never heard anything good or bad since.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ