[sac-forum] Outreach event

  • From: Peter Argenziano <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC Forum <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:51:59 -0700

I know this is on the other side of town, but just checking to see if anyone would be interested in volunteering for an event this Friday.

As chairman of McDowell Sonoran Conservancy's public hiking program, I have been working with our naturalist on an astronomy event. This event is part of the Family Friday Sunset Series.

Evening Under the Stars
Friday, April 29 beginning at 7:30 pm (set up at 6:30, if volunteering)
Gateway Access Area

The Gateway Access area is located at 18333 N. Thompson Peak Parkway,
Scottsdale, Az 85255
The City of Scottsdale lists the coordinates as 33º 38' 56.23" N, 111º 51'
32.96" W

If you are coming north on 101 you can exit at Frank Lloyd Wright and remain on the service road, crossing Frank Lloyd Wright, to Bell Road and turn right (east). Proceed to Thompson Peak Parkway and turn left (north). The entrance will be on your right. If you get to Legacy Blvd (formerly known as Union Hills), you've passed it.

If you are coming east on 101, you can exit at Pima Road, turn left under the 101 (north) and proceed to Legacy Blvd. Turn right (east) on Legacy to Thompson Peak and turn right (south). The entrance will be on your left, before you get to Bell.

Here are links to a couple of Google maps:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.645599,-111.873608&spn=0.025008,0.056605&z=15

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=211942705729765557834.0004a0e85698dc9815896&ll=33.65069,-111.856849&spn=0.012503,0.020127&z=16&iwloc=0004a0e8569d0363d36d9

Even if you can't volunteer, you are certainly welcome to bring the family...

Thanks,

Peter