[sac-forum] Re: Member presentations

  • From: Chris Hanrahan <chris.hanrahan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 19:10:18 -0700

I second Jennifer's sentiments.
Chris

---- Jennifer Polakis <m24@xxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
I don't feel there's a problem.

Very occasionally things do get rushed.  Once in a while we have long winded
announcements, eight show and tells, nominations for officers,  a short
break, then a long lecture and we're out of there at 10:00ish.

Sometimes we have long winded announcements,  two show and tells, an extra
long break, a short lecture and are out of there at 9:30.

But usually it's just about right.

Early on Mike tried his best to have folks pre-arrange their show and tells
with him for a different reason--but it didn't work.  And, not too long ago,
another club tried to micro manage every aspect of their members'
presentations to preserve time for a Presidential monolog; and it was very
off-putting and discouraging --some folks quit going for a while.

To me, the announcements are often way too long.  Individual announcements
should be < 2 minutes--if you think it has to be longer, get in line for a
show and tell.

Of course we have to have a cut-off time for members' presentations so we
can hear the lecturer--we would've had to bunt one more presenter at the
last meeting into the next and maybe should've taken one less--but it's so
rare a problem and such a great problem to have.  I loved Jimmy's talk; and
I think it would be great if we always had too many show and tells.

Some people leave before the speaker, some people talk while the speaker is.
To me, these are the real problems--but admittedly (and obviously) only
personal problems--nothing worth tasking the club to solve.

Jennifer Polakis, VP