[sac-forum] MESSIER 2 declination error

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "AZ Observing" <AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:04:09 -0700

Has anyone had problems locating M2 with digital setting circles or a GoTo
system?  This involves any of the electronic systems.

I have run across declination errors with this entry on the XP4 Flash Sky
Commander digital setting circles and on Orions SynScan GoTo system.  Reason is
because the declination is -0° 49' and the way computer hardware handles -0.
Turns out most computers convert -0 to +0 resulting in incorrect calculations.

I corrected my version of XP4 with an update the the Messier catalog when this
was discovered some time ago.  I have just found the problem in the SynScan
system and notified Orion this morning.

So, I ask, has anyone else had problems with their system finding M2?

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ