[sac-forum] Re: Local Source for Teflon Pads

  • From: Jack Jones <telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:19:01 -0700

I have some, you can take what you want. I'll get it to you if we can arrange off-list.

Jack

tpolakis@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all,

I want to do some experimenting with the sticky altitude bearing on my 18".
The scope currently uses two continuous Teflon strips, and I'd like to
temporarily mount four small Teflon pads in place of the strip*.  The four
pads would be on the order of 3/4" x 1 1/2".  Do any of you have a small
supply of Dobsonian-worthy Teflon lying around that I could purchase?  If
not, do you know where I can buy it locally?  Thanks.

Tom

*As a footnote, I suspect that the sticky altitude motion is due to the
generous surface area of the Teflon strips being far too large for the
weight of this telescope.  In their book about Dobs, Kriege and Berry
recommend 15 pounds per square inch on each Teflon pad.  Do the math for
the continuous strips, and the telescope I received from Kriege weighs in
at barely 3 psi.