[sac-forum] I may be moving on up...

  • From: "Peter Argenziano" <pargenz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 21:25:39 -0700

I am thinking about moving up in aperture, so I thought I'd post my telescope
here first to gauge any local interest. What follows is a description of the
scope and all options, upgrades and accessories included in the sale. I'm not
interested in separating the components, as they won't work with the next scope
(likely a 25"). What follows is a brief description with new or replacement
costs in parentheses.

The Obsession 18 is the ultimate compact scope for the discriminating
enthusiast who wants big aperture in a small package.

18" f4.5 Obsession (#1051 manufactured in September 2003) with ServoCAT GoTo
system

18" Galaxy primary mirror (457 mm) (#01926) with interferometry certification
        Fringe center Strehl 0.938, PV 0.195
        Uniform grid Strehl 0.941, PV 0.212
        96% reflectivity enhanced aluminum coating and dielectric overcoat
        Center marked for precise collimation
 3.1" (79 mm) United Lens secondary with super-enhanced Brilliant-Diamond
multi-dielectric coating (98% reflectivity at 550 nm)
Original primary mirror box
18-point mirror cell
12-volt primary fan and secondary dew heater
Transport handles with pneumatic tires

18 Obsession ($5295, increasing to $5695 in July)
Feathertouch focuser with 2" draw tube travel, 2" compression adapter and
custom curved base ($400)
ServoCAT GoTo drive system (Gen. 1) with wired hand controller and latest
firmware ($2895)
ServoCAT CATpaw wireless hand controller ($240)
ServoCAT AutoCal cable for use with SuperProgram ($25)
ServoCAT mounting bracket ($25)
ServoCAT wired CAT-Stalk for mounting Argo Navis ($160)
Argo Navis digital telescope computer (Gen. 1) with 8192-tic encoders and
latest firmware (included in ServoCAT price)
Argo Navis Argonaut cable ($20)
Argo Navis 12-volt power cable ($20)
StellarCAT primary mirror cable sling, replacing stock Kevlar sling ($70)
StellarCAT altitude encoder hardware kit, replacing stock JMI hardware ($25)
Telrad ($45)
Astrocrumb filter slide with Denkmeier binoviewer adapter ($150)
Markless Astronomics Counterweight system ($135)
Astrosystems lycra light shroud ($90)
Astrosystems Scope Coat telescope cover ($95)
Astrosystems upper cage carry case ($35)
Astrosystems truss pole carry case ($45)
Astrosystems secondary mirror cover ($25)
Upgraded 84 cfm primary mirror fan ($15)
Custom battery boxes with 18-Ah gel cell battery for self-contained power ($150)
Extra set of 8 shorter truss poles to accommodate use of CCD imager ($50)
Little Jumbo Safety Step ladder, 3-step, the ultimate ladder ($150)
I/O thermometer to monitor thermal equilibration ($10)
Obsession counterweight system (included with base telescope)
Obsession ground board (included with base telescope)

Entire system functions quite well and is in very good to excellent condition.
Tally everything up and it comes to $10,170. I'm willing to take a third off
and sell it all for $6,750. As a special bonus, SAC members can save an
additional $150 and get the entire system for an even $6,600.

If you haven't already seen it, it can be seen at the next star party (weather
permitting) or by appointment. Please contact me off-list if interested.
[pargenz_at_cox_dot_net]

Thanks,

Peter