[sac-forum] Re: GPS and your lot

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:16:24 -0700

I do need the accuracy. I'm afraid your other suggestions are not possible. The lot is heavily treed and the sides are over 750 deep, and the lot has topography (if that is the right word). It is not possible to see very far into it. Thanks anyway for the thoughts. I had thought of a bright light, which would still not be possible to see through the trees, and I had thought of shining a beam of light straight up in the air at each end. With a transit, assuming the beams can be seen in our clear transparent skies at night and assuming the light beams are pretty accurately perpendicular to the ground, one might be able to get lot locations this way. Of course, it would have to be done in the dark.
Stan

Dan Gruber wrote:

Stan, how about taking a step back here? We tend to think that GPS is the answer to all of our questions, when sometimes it isn’t. The key here is to define the objective. Why do you need to know “the location of the sides of [your] lot” to a high degree of accuracy? Suppose you only knew the locations to ±10 feet, say, which is within hand-held GPS accuracy. What would be the consequences of a 10 foot error? Next, is it the location that’s important or the distance of each side of your lot from some other fixed point, or perhaps the distance between the two sides of your lot? Distance can be measured very accurately with a laser rangefinder or even a metal tape measure. Finally, let’s not forget trigonometry. If you can find a known survey point nearby, a rented or borrowed surveyor’s transit can be used (with a little trig) to very accurately locate the sides of your lot.

I know some of these ideas are obvious, but since mm GPS accuracy isn’t easy to get it’s worth exploring alternatives.

Good luck.

Dan

Dan Gruber

dgruber@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dgruber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>