[sac-forum] Re: Format of GPS Input Values

  • From: "Dan Gruber" <dgruber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:26:44 -0700

Most GPS units can be set to use any of those formats, usually selected
through a "system" menu page. However, FWIW USGS topo maps are marked in
DD MM SS (and also in UTM, which isn't one of your choices and which I
wouldn't recommend for casual GPS users).

Keep in mind that the right-most digit in formats (1) and (2) implies
greater precision (<10 feet) than most handheld GPS units can deliver.

Personally, I use either UTM or format (1). A handy relationship is that
around here 1 second of lat or long is very roughly 100 feet.

Dan