[sac-forum] Five Mile Meadow - WOW!

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,EVAC <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,SAC Forum <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:32:10 -0700

The three days, starting with Thursday, spent at this site with Steve
Coe and Joe Goss were the best sessions in the last several years.  I
was able to see the Pipe Nebula each night - without glasses!  We were
joined by several more folks Friday and more on Saturday, making a total
of about 15 folks.  During the ensuing  evenings we were giving the
night ratings anywhere from a low of 7/10 to 9/10 and were able to see
Sagittarius rising below tree top levels; stars were rock steady most of
the time!

To mention only some of the few I looked through were Steve's 4"
refractor where we saw several nicely framed Barnard nebula, most
noteworthy were the Pipe and B142, I believe, in Aquila.  It was like a
sentimental journey to view M95 and M96 in Cheryl Gambardell's 8" f6.

I observed many a globular cluster and planetary nebula in Scorpios and
Sagittarius at powers ranging from a low of 220X to 580.

I don't have my observations organized - yet.  To list them here would
take far to much time.  What I did re-realize the there are lots of nice
planetary nebula in Scorpios and Sagittarius and that would make a nice
observing project.

Must mention our observations of Comets LINEAR both very nice in all scopes.

I spent some time trying to see the Ring Nebulas central star and at
618X believe it was glimpsed, but after watching for about five minutes
and some coaching from Lynn Blackburn who had seen it before.

There is so much more that could be discussed by I have to go enter my
observations, but will try to post some of the more memorable ones later.

A satisfied,
AJ Crayon