[sac-forum] Cherry Rd - warning

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "az-observing" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "EVAC" <evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 15:53:42 -0700

I just spoke with Steve Coe, who is at Cherry Rd and he asked me to pass on the
following news.  The entrance to Cherry Rd II is not accessible because of a
wide and deep ditch that was dug since our last use.  Howsomever the original
site, Cherry Rd I is, again, easily accessible and, therefore we should be
going there for the SAC Star Party this weekend.  In fact Steve had no problems
getting to this site in his vehicle.

For those who are interested the directions to Cherry Rd I site follow -

Cherry Road I:  Drive north on I-17 about 70 miles from central Phoenix to the
Cherry Road exit.  This is state highway 169.  Turn left over the freeway to
the west and go about 5 miles, just beyond mile marker number 10.  At the sign
which says "Cherry 6" turn south onto a dirt road.  Note:  this is the opposite
direction of the arrow that is on the sign.  The observing site is about 5/10
of a mile south on the dirt road on the right.  You need to go through a gate
to get to the site, please keep the gate closed after you enter.  GPS
coordinates are 34:31:08   112:05:08.

I am planning on going there for tomorrow night and hope to see many of you
there.

Clear skies,
aj