[sac-forum] Call for Observations - a little late

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:08:08 -0700

The call wasn't posted before our observing sessions this month, so now it is a
little late.  There is time for you to submit yours for Cassiopeia as has Dick
Harshaw and Rick Tejera.  I need to start on the article before the weekend as
there will be little to no time during the weekend.  Hopefully I can finish
early in the week.

As a reminder here is the article discussing the objects.

It just seems there is more and more left to do in Cassiopeia, so let's not
delay any more.  While there are a few galaxies we will steer clear of them, at
least until the spring.  For this pass we will do, mostly, open clusters and,
oh, don't forget to review the Trumpler Class for each.  With that the first is
NGC7788, containing about 20 stars from 10th mag.  It is just northwest of
NGC7790, don't confuse them.  Moving east about 4° is a Herschel 400, NGC 136
that is much smaller and fainter.  King 16 is to the northeast and may be a
little harder to detect than the previous cluster.  Moving another 6.6° east is
our next, NGC 637 another Herschel 400 entry.  It is also pretty small but
should stand out from the Milky Way background.  Advancing much farther east is
NGC1027, last of the Herschel 400 entries for this month.  It is rather large,
has about 40 stars from mag 9.3; but this depends on where the cluster boundary
is determined.  Our last is an asterism titled Kemble's Kite, is located at
R.A. 03 28.0 Dec +72 00, is about 6th mag and 90'X30', includes red M2 star -
what color do you see.  Can you see its 6th mag naked eye?  What about using
binoculars to locate then try naked eye.  Yes it does look like a kite, don't
you think so?

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ