[sac-forum] CFO October and November

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 12:39:36 -0700

Here are the observing lists for the next CFO columns.  Looks like we will get
a break in the weather for this weekend.  Hope ya'll can take advantage and add
the following to your list.  The two constellations are Cepheus and Aquarius -
both available during the night time hours.  And available for a long time, so
do try to take advantage of this opportunity.

For October the scheduled constellation will be Cepheus the king.  For some of
these objects you may need a finder chart or star atlas, nothing elaborate.
Something like Uranometria should do.  As expected most of these objects will
be open clusters, so for each include your interpretation of the Trumpler type.
 Starting out look for the cluster NGC7055.  Actually it is more like a poor
asterism because it is small and faint.  Next is the northern most object Berk
93, another open cluster.  It can be found at RA 21 55.5 Dec +63 56.  I would
consider this cluster small, faint and rich.  What would you call it?  Then it
is on to a planetary nebula with NGC7354.  It is faint and small.  Can you see
the ring structure?  We now go back to open clusters for the remainder of our
list and we start with Berk  95 located at RA 22 28.3 Dec +59 08.  Its few
faint stars should stand out.  Now on to NGC7281 a fairly large cluster with
some rather faint stars.  Berk  94 is next, the southern most of this list.  It
may be found at RA 22 22.9 Dec +55 53 and should be easy to find.  The second
to last is NGC7352 a rather large compressed grouping of stars.  Then last is
from a list of interesting open clusters as most are small, faint and rich.  It
is Biur  3 located at RA 23 15.2 Dec +60 27  and is also know as Mrk 50.  Does
this cluster match the description?

For November the Water Jar, Aquarius will be the selections, of which will be
all galaxies, save one double star.  We start with the northern most object and
proceed to the southeast.  This will start us with the spiral galaxy NGC7081.
Depending on your telescope size it could appear faint and small with a faint
star or two almost attached to the south.  To find the next galaxy is a rather
large slew to the southeast where we will find NGC7309, a barred spiral.
Although it is faint, can you detect any spiral arm or not?  Another barred
spiral is next with NGC7218.  Does it appear pretty bright and somewhat
elongated?  NGC7252 is found going more to the south.  It looks to be faint and
pretty large.  How does it appear in your telescope?  There is a reported faint
extension on the west side.  Do you see it in your telescope?  The most
southerly selections are two galaxies, NGC7284/5, are next.  They are right
next to each other in an easterly position.  First will be NGC7284.  It is
faint, small and elongated in a 133° position.  NGC7285 is also faint, small,
and elongated but has some spiral arm structure.  Can you see them?  The next
galaxy is NGC7377, perhaps the largest of the bunch.  It is a little elongated
and has a brighter middle.  The double star 107 Aquarii is almost a full hour
of Right Ascension slew to the east, but is worth the trip.  Naturally it is a
color contrasting double and widely separated.  Tell us about what color you
see in your telescope.  Now for the final entry try your hand at the spiral
galaxy NGC7576.  It might be round and a little elongated, but can you see a
brighter middle?

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ