[sac-forum] Re: Asteroid

  • From: Gene A Lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:18:45 -0700

Well, Tom beat me to this, but Rick still owes somebody a Coke or something...

Minor planet no. (3685) Derdenye was named (jointly) for Derald Nye and his late wife, Denise.
------
My favorite story is about the time a few years back at RTMC when a plaque was presented to someone for their newly-named asteroid, and somebody in the crowd suggested, "Let's have everyone in the room that has an asteroid named for them come up on the stage for a group photo.." ...We all climbed up, and durn near collapsed the stage! I think I counted over 25 asteroid folks....

And congrats to Richard! It's still a pretty small club... Plenty of them rocks left, too!

Gene Lucas
(17250)

Tom Polakis wrote:
---- Rick Tejera <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd be willing to bet Tom's paycheck that He & Jenn are the only Husband
wife space rocks.

I'll bet my paycheck during a Honeywell furlough that we aren't. There are a number of married couples professional astronomers, and some of them must be named by now. Among amateur ranks, there's asteroid 17638 Suealan, named for Sue and Alan French.
Anyway, congrats to Dick for his new rock.

Tom