[sac-forum] Antenna's Sunday and Monday Nites

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:12:03 -0700

Well I've just completed unpacking from a two niter at Antenna's and let me
tell you this was the best observing I've had in some time.  The breeze that
gave folks a fit on Friday and Saturday took the following nights off.  The
three of us; Steve Coe, Jack Jones and myself enjoyed the great observing
conditions and we called it a 7/10 night.

Sunday night I worked from my "do over" list which included Herschel and
Messier galaxies in Gemini, Ursa Major, Draco, Hydra and Orion for a total of
40 deep sky objects calling it quits around 4:00am.  There were so many gems it
is hard to know where to start.

Monday night I deep sky that hadn't been seen in my Dob and included Lepus (not
very good to do galaxies here), Taurus, Hydra (again) and Ursa Major (again)
settling in on a meager 25 and called it quits around 1:30am.

The highlight of both nights was observing the elongated galaxy NGC3718 with a
brighter middle but there was something funny there.  After using some averted
vision it was determined the galaxy sported a bisected nucleus and appeared to
be pretty elongated.  While making this observation I discovered some fuzzy
stuff near the edge of the field of view.  Putting some averted vision to work
here it was determined there were two round, very small and very faint
galaxies.  Then there were 3 very small and very faint galaxies.  Finally
another popped in and out of view.  They sort-a formed an arc towards NGC3718
with one being very elongated.  A quick check of the CCD Atlas identified them
as Hickson 56, but there were 5 there instead of the four I had seen.  Their
magnitudes ranged from 14.8 to 16.3 with the faintest at 17.

Two very nice nights observing, wish ya'll could have been there!

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ