[sac-forum] Re: 5MM - another update

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:24:31 -0700

Chuck Akers wrote:

The rotten weather always seems to come around the dark moon weekends.  The
outlook appears more favorable for Sunday night

I don't want to give the impression that I am encouraging anyone to head up to 5MM, nor do I want to discourage anyone. With regard to the forecast, it does say partly cloudy with a 20% chance of thunderstorms for Saturday night. Yesterday during the day they gave almost an identical forecast for the Prescott area, but by 8:30pm nearly all clouds were gone, and later in the night there were no clouds at all. It was a very nice night. I think AJ made the correct decision to cancel a *club sponsored* event based on the information he has, but, as Tom said, anyone can still go up if they want. It may very well be things will clear off for Saturday night like they did last night in the Prescott area. I have learned to be wary of forecasts that say 20% chance. I have come to interpret it as a 20% chance they made the correct forecast and not a 20% chance that due to factors beyond their control it will rain.
Stan
p.s., the rains will undoubtedly have brought out mosquitoes and I have heard Mansquitoe (from the Sci Fi Channel movie of the documentary 'Mansquitoe') is on the lose roving the mountains looking for unwary campers. :-)

, although not many have that option available. If it still looks good Sunday, I may head up there, so if the forecast holds and anyone else wants to try for Sunday, let me know.
Chuck