[sac-forum] Re: 09-28 Meeting - Amateur observatory in Phoenix

  • From: pulind@xxxxx
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:24:57 -0400 (EDT)

Michael,

From your previous post it was good to hear that folks are still making good
use of Max Bray's telescopes. About 15 years ago I was referred to Max for
information on making lenses.  Even though he was almost 90 at the time he was
glad to have me over to his shop and give detailed instructions on lensmaking.
He even provided some parts for building an optical spindle.  At the time Max
was finishing the corrector for the 20" Maksutov telescope at Vega-Bray
Observatory. He pointed to the corrector and said: "It's a lot lighter now,
only about 40 pounds, the glass blank weighed 100 pounds"!

Paul Lind