[sac-board] Star Party Saturday Night

  • From: "Jones, Jack (AZ75)" <jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'SAC-Announcements NEW' <SAC-Announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,'SAC-board NEW' <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:06:02 -0700

Hello SAC Members!

Due to the intense heat and the yearning for a dust-free environment, the
Club Star Party is at our new summer haven, the Cherry Rd site, Saturday
June 16. (Some will visit Flat Iron on Friday, I hear.)

Sunset is 7:44 pm, moonrise is 2:39 am.

Directions to the Cherry Rd Observing Site (updated):

From Phoenix take I-17 north for about 60 miles. Take the Cherry Road exit
(Exit 278) and turn left (west) over the freeway. This is also Highway 169.
Go west about 5 miles, just beyond marker 10. There is a sign which says
"Cherry 6". At the sign, turn left (south). Note: This is the opposite way
the arrow on the sign points. You will be on a pretty well-maintained dirt
road, however, there are some natural speed bumps, so drive slow. The site
is located 0.5 mile south of the hard surfaced Cherry Road. The observing
field is a large meadow to your right (west) thru a gate. It is marked with
the traditional Boy Scout rock marker, i.e, several rocks stacked on top of
each other at the turn off.

According to the Telrad Tejera Coordinate Service,
GPS coords are:

N34d 31m 7.8s W112d 5m 7.5s Elev 4400'

Jack Jones
President - SAC