[sac-board] Re: SAC 2012 Spring Public Star Party at Thunderbird Park

  • From: "Gene A. Lucas" <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jack Jones <telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:42:44 -0700

Jack,

My recollection is that we began the annual spring Glendale star parties
the same year we got the club started, viz., 1977.
(The club got its name in late spring 1977 -- name suggested by Pete
Jurca -- and the first batch of club officers were elected at the end of
the year.... )

The first couple of years we held the SP in a park in the middle of
Glendale; then about the third year, moved it to Thunderbird Park.
So we have been doing it every year since we started the club --
inotherwords, this would be the 35th year !! Yay!!

FWIW, Glendale Parks and Rec. Dept. LEASES Thunderbird Park from
Maricopa County....

The main issue for the club is that the park normally closes at
sunset.... so we are getting a special approval from the City authorities.
Note also, the club is not the SPONSERS of the star party... merely
invited participants. (Frees us from legal responsibility; the Glendale
city park insurance covers everybody....)

Gene Lucas
(SAC co-founder)