[sac-board] Re: Club First Aid Kit Addition

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 20:59:35 -0700

It sounds like Thad is voting yes and Jenn is voting no. Looking at the Poison
Control Center website link she supplied, first aid para #5, a quality snake
bite kit seems to be a good idea.

Here is a repost of my original message to All-Observing for those who aren't
subscribed:

"If I can remind us of the last time this topic came up, in order:

1. Drop everything and get medical help immediately.
2. Try to keep subject as calm as possible to prevent the venom pumping thru
the system.
3. No cutting of the wound with knives or razors, no tourniquets, don't use
your mouth. Use suction bulb from quality kit (Sawyer or equiv), cheap ones
are worthless."

Jack Jones
Public Events Coordinator
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix AZ
Telescoper@xxxxxxx
www.saguaroastro.org

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/centers/apdic/snakes.shtml

Hi, this is a link off of the Poison Control Center's website.  You =
might want to read under Rattlesnake/First Aid before you settle into =
buying a kit.  I suppose if it makes you feel better to tote it around =
in the first aid kit--then go for it.  Just don't waste valuable time =
using it instead of getting the victim to a source of anti-venom.

Jenn. =20