[sac-board] AstronomyClubMembershipForHighSchoolStudents

  • From: "Jennifer Polakis" <m24@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rivas-reyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 17:13:27 -0700

April 22, 2013

Phoenix Union High School District

4502 N. Central Ave.

Phoenix, AZ 85012

Attention:  Dr. Kent P. Scribner, Superintendent

Via E-mail: Isela Rivas-Reyes, Assistant to the Superintendent
rivas-reyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Followed by U.S. Post

Reference: Free Membership to Saguaro Astronomy Club for High School Students

Dear Dr. Scribner,

On behalf of Saguaro Astronomy Club, I would like to offer a free membership to
our astronomy club for high school students.

Please refer to our website:  www.saguaroastronomy.org.  Our club originated in
1977.  We hold monthly meetings with an invited lecturer on a range of topics
including:  the status of extra solar planet search, the composition of stars,
astrophotography, citizen science programs in astronomy, updates on space
missions like The Lunar Recognizance Orbiter Camera, historical astronomy,
astronomy in other countries, and other interesting topics.  All lectures are
done by professional astronomers from Arizona's observatories and universities
or highly skilled amateur astronomers. Our monthly lecture meeting is held at
Grand Canyon University at 35th Avenue and Camelback on Fridays closest to the
full Moon at 7:30 p.m.  A schedule and map is available on our website.
Membership includes an E-mail of our monthly newsletter.

Additionally, we try to get out observing with our telescopes twice a month--on
weekends near the new Moon and the 3rd quarter Moon which sets early.  (The
Moon makes the sky very bright and difficult to observe objects such as
galaxies, star clusters, and nebulae.)  We are currently driving 60-100 miles
away from the city to get some distance away from light pollution.  A telescope
is not required to attend these observing events as we enjoy sharing the views.

One of our members chairs a novice group with an invitation to his observatory
in Maricopa for help on operating a telescope, how to locate objects, etc.
Also, schools, scouting programs, etc.  can request our astronomers to bring
telescopes to an event; and we've hosted Thunderbird Park's annual star party
for more than 25 years.  Every summer we organize the North Rim Grand Canyon
Star Party to coincide with The Tucson Amateur Astronomy Association's South
Rim event.

Teachers, parents, and students can contact me directly via E-mail or
telephone, or can refer to the list of contacts on our web site.

Please advise if it would be more effective for me to contact each of the high
schools in your district individually.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this letter; I know you must be
an extremely busy person.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer Polakis, VP

E-mail: M24@xxxxxxx, telephone: 480 967-1658

Saguaro Astronomy Club www.saguaroastro.org

Ccs: Via E-mail

Saguaro Astronomy Club Board and Membership

Sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx