[sac-board] Re: [AZ-Observing] Novices for this weekend

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:41:12 -0700

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:35:04 -0700, Steve Coe wrote:

> I would think that a club member who has been to at least one or two star
> parties in the past and learned enough to enjoy themselves would do OK at 5
> Mile Meadow this weekend.  I was hoping to invite those who felt comfortable
> with a long drive to give dark skies a try.

And I wouldn't call them novices.

I consider someone a novice if they haven't gone to any star parties, not
looked through a scope or talked to other amateurs at a star party (public
star parties don't count), and might have to be reminded "after dark"
about the rule against white light.  Once they get past these
qualifications, they are no longer novices, they are at least beginners.

Be careful about issuing invitations to novices.  While they could have a
good time, those that don't could be turned off by the experience (and
possibly hold the club responsible).