[s1m0n] Brainstorming - Basic Feature & Concepts

  • From: Bubulein <bubulein@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: s1m0n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 10:57:58 +0100

Moin Sisters,

I'd like to use this mail to start a brainstorming related to the features "the thing" should provide.
I would recommend to collect which Features a average homeuser really need.

Services
    - CIFS
    - FTP
    - NFS (usually not used cause of the complicated permission stuff)
    - SSH (sFTP)
    - WebDAV (painless WAN-Access)
    - Webserver (often requested FAMP)
    - rsyncd
    - unison?

Features
- easy Permission Handling see: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59456241/Data_Focused_Share_Creation.pdf
    - Shadowcopies/ZFS Snapshots
    - Backup/Restore config (Why don't use IMAP for timed backups?)
I'm a fan in general for Mails (What about HTML Mails with buttons?
            "All Backups completed successfully" Shutdown?)
    - devd + amd for connecting USB-Drives (Auto-backup)
- "inline documentation" IMHO Doc's should be where the Info is needed AND dynamical
        example:
        Permit root login:    (Y)    --v--
            Select if user root can login to ftp.
Currently access for user "root" is __enabled__ (fat, red, dynamic) - Easy to read information's and specially EASY to provide Info to get Help(ASCII +copy &paste)
        see: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59456241/simon/ss_2012-02-29_1.png
- JailManager (for additional Stuff) + nat/pf-rules whatever as long it is transparent - Proxy (Squid + HAVP + prioxy + tor), transparent in the background, bandwidth is always rare
       and the Net is insecure.

GUI
    -Please checkout http://www.css3maker.com/ , a HTML5 WebApp
        Also HTML5 makes handling via Smartphone easier (Feature?)
        More HTML5 gimmicks: http://html5demos.com/

Base System
- Personally I prefer the "tinyBSD"-Style since it is easy to Maintain. I did tests a while ago with a jail which can be turned into a bootable image with just a click.

Well, there much more stuff running around in my head - but this should be a start to collect and sort out stuff.

-Christian