[ryerson_index] Re: 'at home' location

  • From: "Bill" <oldboybill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 20:11:03 +1100

Dear Lindsay,

Home is not indexed, nor is a hospital, unless it has a name. Neither is at X when the deceased is also of X, so there has to be a variation in the information, otherwise it has to be removed by John or myself when the submission is checked.

Wording of notices varies from paper to paper and even from Funeral Director to Funeral Director which makes it hard for us sometimes.

Regards, Bill

The indexing instructions do not cover this specifically, but I've always assumed that death 'at home', in the absence of any information to indicate where home was, was not indexed. But I'm aware that many people have indexed it, and I wonder whether I should be doing that. I guess it could sometimes be useful information for a researcher, so perhaps we could index it.

But if we do index it, it should be 'home' not 'at home' -- the latter means it will appear as 'at at home' (and there are a lot of those in Ryerson!)

---
https://www.avg.com