[ryerson_index] Re: Onward and Upward

  • From: "Bill" <oldboybill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:52:19 +1100

Dear Dawn and Doug,

It has to be remembered that initially the Ryerson Index had no name, but was an idea of the Sydney Dead Persons Society to index the current newspapers trying to fill the gap between the official available records, Deaths to 1945 at that time, and the current.

The preamble on the website, probably not read by many, reveals how Joyce Ryerson attended a meeting and asked why no back indexing was thought of. A meeting between her and John resulted in John leaving her home with a boot full of notices from many years of SMH which started an indexing frenzy.

From that other papers gradually came on board, but we must congratulate John Graham on his persistence to make the index what it is today. He has of course had good helpers, in particular his Vice President and Secretary, Peter and Pauline Kettle. There have been others, some who have since dropped out, but each and every indexer can be proud of what has been achieved under the leadership of John.

It truly is a great achievement, and never in the wildest dreams of the original participants that this would be the outcome nearly 20 years on.

Although I was at one of the original meetings discussing indexing, I am not a 100% original participant.

Regards, Bill

Doug! Anything's possible, not always probable.  It's a great achievement.
Dawn M

Peter

--
Mageia release 5 (Official) for x86_64
running 4.4.36-desktop-2.mga5 with DE=Xfce4

---