[ryerson_index] Re: Death Notive inside death notice

  • From: John Graham <johngrah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 12:13:13 +1000

Paul,

I would add the Les entry, maybe with a bit extra.

It's only a year since his death, so the chance of Eva re-marrying in that time is low, and that increases the chances of SMITH being his name.

There is no existing Ryerson entry for a Les SMITH in Dec 1998.

However, is it a small paper or a large paper? If a small paper, it won't be hard to find the notice, but if it's a large paper, I'd add Eva as a Prev Name for Les so a cross-ref entry is generated pointing to the correct entry. (This is another case of asking for help without giving us ALL the available information! It's impossible to give a definitive answer.)

John

G'day All,

Happy New year!!

I have a notice that reads, in part

"SMITH, Eva May... on Dec 12 1999 .... wife of Les (deceased Dec 10 1998) ..."

So, should I make an entry for Les, to do so would assume his surname was also Smith. A reasonably logical conclusion, but not certain.

Also, a researcher looking through the paper would not find the entry if they were looking for "SMITH, Les".

Any thoughts

..Paul