[rurallife] Energy Saving Bulbs Disposal Advice

  • From: Suzân Lewis-Jones <advertising.tilford@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rurallife-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:51:59 +0100

 I had a disturbing e-mail with gruesome photographs attached concerning the
result of treading on a broken energy saving light bulb.  I thought the
following would be helpful for those that have not come across this
information.

Suzân

Energy Saving Bulbs Disposal Advice

WARNING:

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has issued the
following advice on what to do if a low-energy light bulb breaks.

Evacuate the room, taking care not to step on the shards of glass littering
the floor.

Do not use a vacuum cleaner to clear up the mess as the machine?s sucking
action could spread toxic mercury droplets around the house.

Put on rubber gloves and sweep the debris into a dustpan.

Place the remains in a plastic bag and seal it.

Do not put the bag in a normal household dustbin.

Instead, place it in a municipal recycling bin for batteries which also
contain mercury or take it to a council dump where it can be disposed of
safely.

Try not to inhale dust from the broken bulb.