Re: network bridge configuration for rumprun

  • From: Justin Cormack <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:31:44 +0100

On 29 June 2015 at 10:04, Antti Kantee <pooka@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

So I was thinking about the problem of specifying a network bridge
configuration in rumprun, as motivated here:
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Upstream_QEMU_stubdom

It was easy enough to add bridge manipulation to netconfig, but that doesn't
really help us with specifying the configuration at lauchtime. Assuming we
want to avoid rumpctrl for the "more moving parts" reason, there are, as far
as I can see, two approaches (not really specific to bridge configuration,
so imagine it's a general problem):

1) improve "multiexecutable" support to allow for "barriers", i.e. wait for
all programs [..n-1] to finish before starting to run [n...]. Then bridge
configuration becomes someone else's problem.
2) add support to rumpconfig to be able to specify bridge config via json

There are other options eg

3) add a small scripting layer that can understand bridges but can
also, unlike json, do things that are conditional on the environment,
and looks more like an init script. Obviously this would (for complex
cases) not be generated by the command line, although fragments could
be passed in potentially.

Justin